Thursday, March 6, 2008

Does yoga help fibromyalgia and back pain?

I taught a gentle beginning yoga class, back when I lived in Victoria, Texas. I had several people in the class who had fibromyalgia..
Here are some testimonials from some of the people who took my class...

"I'd never taken a yoga class before a friend insisted I "at least try" Gail"s Beginning Yoga class. I found it to be a wonderful experience for my out-of-shape condition! I couldn't do everything the rest of the class did, but Gail set a level of comfort in every class, where I felt comfortable in making whatever accomodations necessary for my particular problems. She assisted and made suggestions, but I was free to make whatever adaptations were comfortable for me. After foot surgery, I wore a walking orthopedic boot to class, and gradually began working back up to where I'd been before I missed a few weeks. After Gail moved, I tried two other classes, same title, but the instructors really didn't "get" what beginning means. The last time I went, I really hurt my knee. My fault for not accepting my limitations, but the comfort zone was just not the same. If you don't get to go to every class, you will lose continuity in some classes by having to look at the instructor continually because they abbreviate instructions. Not with Gail! She has a wonderful smooth flowing rhythm of speaking that allows you to totally focus on your own movements. Really miss the comfortable, friendly atmosphere of Gail's class! Always very professional, Gail makes it fun, relaxing, and rewarding, and always has a smile that says, "I love teaching yoga!" Always made me leave with a smile too, thinking, "I love Gail's class!" May 2007

Patsy, a 65 year "young" Gentle Beginning Yoga student
Victoria, Texas



"I always enjoyed your Gentle Yoga class because it was excellent for a beginning class and after it I always felt so much better after all the stretching. As a teacher you were so good about offering modifications for difficult poses and with all your class you were so concise about the directions part of the effects of feeling so good at the end was being so relaxed I could always keep my eyes closed and with your instruction still be certain I was able to follow the moves." Spring 2007

Judy, a Fibromyalgia student and a Gentle Beginning Yoga student
Victoria, Texas



"In taking Gail's class, I don't miss my Vioxx as much. I'm not having any spasms in my left leg. I can manage my stress better." Summer 2005

Brenda, a Fibromyalgia student and a Gentle Beginning Yoga student
Victoria, Texas



"I was able to do all of the poses, with a few modifications, when I took your 'back yoga' class. My back feels so good afterwards." Spring 2007

Mildred, a Yoga class participant from the YMCA
Port Arthur, Texas


Here is a link about back pain and fibromyalgia. www.yogaholidays.net/magazine/fibromyalgia.htm

We first did standing yoga postures, then poses with the chair, as we stood, then some postures in the chair, and those that could, postures on our yoga mat with a wonderful guided relaxation at the end.
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails

You don't have to bend like a pretzel to do Yoga

You don't have to bend like a pretzel to do Yoga
You don't have to bend like a pretzel to do Yoga!