Saturday, June 21, 2008

Yoga Workshop

So I've been attending this Ashtanga Yoga Workshop this weekend put on by local teacher, Dr. Kim Folse. There are a lot of similarities with Ashtanga and YogaFit. YogaFit uses techniques from Ashtanga, Iyengar, Kundalini and rolls them into a yoga practice that is considered to be safe (according to American Council on Exercise, ACE).

Every time I take an Ashtanga based class, it is quite different from one instructor to another, but the basic tenets are there. I always tend to go back to my way of training for Sun Salutations. For Example:

YogaFit Ashtanga
in -mountain in -mountain
ex -swan dive to ff ex -swan dive to ff
in -step back/jump to DD in -jump back to plank
ex -downward facing Dog ex -plank start to roll through
in -plank in -roll forward to updog
ex -croc/chatarunga ex -updog
in -cobra/updog in -drop to floor prepare for dd
ex -Down Dog ex -pop back into downdog
Breath for 5 breaths in down dog- may or may not do this in YogaFit
in -step/jump up to top of mat in -jump to top of mat
ex -forward fold ex -forward fold
in -circle sweep arms up in -hinge up, then circle arms
ex -hands to heart center ex -hands to side


So I find myself going back to how I was trained in sun salutes. In looking at David Swenson's Ashtanga Manual, there are allowances for modifications in your poses, doing alternate things in the Sun Salutes, so I'm not to far off base in doing what I'm doing. I think the roll through thing is difficult to do with proper technique. There is a popping down to the floor aspect to YogaFit Sun Salutes, it is just a matter of if the instructor leads you this way.

More later.

gaileee
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails

You don't have to bend like a pretzel to do Yoga

You don't have to bend like a pretzel to do Yoga
You don't have to bend like a pretzel to do Yoga!